Thanks to this powerful software solution, users are able to render three-dimensional pictures and animations. It also comes with comprehensive help files.
POV Ray is a ray tracing program for Windows designed to help you create 3D vector-based graphics. Basically, it takes information you supply and simulates the way light interacts with objects you have placed, thus producing impressive three-dimensional images and animations.
As with most ray tracing software, POV RAY features its own proprietary format. There are different converters available for converting 3D files. It is also necessary to mention that you can export projects from Blender via a special plugin and render them with this utility.
The difficulty with this tool lies in its basic functionality. In contrast to programs like Chaos Corona, V Ray and Adobe Dimension, it does not feature a full-fledged graphical user interface but relies on a command line for control.
In order to use the application successfully, advanced knowledge of math and patience is required. However, the POV Ray help files are very thorough and are available both locally and online. In addition, there is a wiki and FAQs list, as well as links to various websites and tutorials.
- free to download and use;
- compatible with modern Windows versions;
- gives you the ability to create 3D vector-based graphics;
- you can control the program via command line interface;
- requires advanced coding and math knowledge to use;
- it is possible to import project from third-party applications;
- comes with help files, FAQs and online tutorials.